Sunday, November 2, 2008

Second Life: A Breeding Ground for Crazy

In light of my recent experience with Second Life, I would like to reflect on my reactions to this virtual world. Though Second life is the primary choice for virtual world users and allows for nearly endless possibilities for its members, I did not see it as a beneficial way to socialize. In fact, my experience was very uncomfortable. My concern is that Second Life users are able to interact to the great extent without ever actually knowing what the person they are forming a relationship with is like. I think that this has the potential to be very dangerous.
I was able to find an online forum that discusses one scenario for when Second Life becomes dangerous. For Kimberly Jernigan’s virtual boyfriend, a Second Life relationship proved to be detrimental when Kimberly stalked and attempted to kidnap her virtual man. She broke into his home with a roll of duct tape, a BB gun, handcuffs, a taser, and her dog who she then bound with the duct tape to maintain quiet for her virtual boyfriend’s return home. Fortunately, no one was harmed and Kimberly is now facing several criminal charges (“MMORPG”). The article makes me wonder if Second Life is responsible for such outrageous behavior. This is addressed in a comment related to the article which states, “I’m not saying the Second Life created this kind of crazy, but it’s a breeding ground for this kind of crazy.” (Raltar, MMORGG) I don’t think that I could have said it better myself. The point is that some virtual world relationships can be dangerous if they are carried over into the real world.
The extensive development of Second Life and its high population of members from all over the world Second Life make Second Life a prime medium for online victimization which is especially dangerous is information is being shared. Second life provides privacy for its members, but it is up to those users to use this discretion. While using Second Life for class, I decided to not create a profile or to expose any personal information, but I still did not feel comfortable interacting with virtual strangers.

Related Link: http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm?post=2318383&bhcp=1#2318383

3 comments:

Jackie Schab said...

I agree that virtual reality can be dangerous and people should use discretion when deciding to use the technology.
However, I wonder if the reason some people are scared or uncomfortable with it is because they have not experienced it as much as others have.
I think about it in this kind of light: I don't like to go out and party because of the dangers that could happen with drinking and being around people who drink, but I feel that way about it because I've never experienced being drunk or being around people who are. I just never put myself in those situations.
virtual worlds are the same way. If you aren't accustomed to it, it can be scary and uncomfortable.

Vange Marie said...

I agree! I was extremely uncomfortable in the situation! I didn't understand why members and their avatars were so creepy. I just couldn't grasp this world but as Jackie said, it's probably the unfamiliarity that gets us more than the world itself. However, if you're not comfortable in a situation in the first try, most of the time, you're never going to allow yourself to get comfortable.

Sarah said...

I COMPLETELY agree with you. I was really freaked out being on second life. They day that I got on I was getting messages from people I didn't know. It is so weird to think about who this person is and what they are doing behind their computer asking for sex...But I think the halloween party was fun because we all knew eachother.