Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Self Reflection

Computer Mediated Communication (CMC) continues to have more and more of an impact on our lives. This has definitely been true for me. I have become accustomed to CMC because it has always been available for me to use. This class has allowed me to analyze my CMC habits, and I have come to find that while I may be a bit too dependent on my cell phone, CMC is secondary to more traditional means of communication to me, and I do not rely solely on CMC.
One of the class’s first assignments was to fast from all text messaging, social networking, and instant messaging. I was afraid of what I might discover about myself, and my dependence on CMC because I tend to feel like a part of my body is missing if I don’t have my cell phone. However, as the week progressed, I found that not checking my Facebook, texting my boyfriend, or putting up an away message on my buddy list wasn’t that hard. Not using these mediums was a bit inconvenient, but I was pleasantly surprised at my self discipline.
Overall, this class allowed me to evaluate my CMC use by learning about different habits, behaviors, and even addictions when it comes to CMC. I don’t think that I have reason to change my CMC use because it has not been a problem for me, but now that I am more educated about all of the advantages and disadvantages of being involved in CMC, I am more aware of my own style of communication.

No comments: